Here is a link to the multimedia project I found on the Los Angeles Times website. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page.
I liked how they incorporated the pictures into their project. It gave me time to process the story better because they acted as a breath or break. The natural audio was also a big plus because a lot of the stories I found incorporated music which I thought in most cases was unnecessary. I think the interviews were done in a room with a buzzing light or something because there was a noise on the audio track which was kind of distracting. Otherwise, it was well done.
For this assignment we used a green screen for the interview. Yes, that black background was actually green when I shot it. Crazy right?!
My reading on the green screen was around f/4.8 for each corner. I set the camera to ISO 1600 and the white balance on ambient light. I metered the bright side of her face at f/5.6 and the shadowed side at f/2.8. I ended up shooting the video at f/6.3 at 1/30 of a second.
If I were to shoot this again I would have framed her a bit closer and more centered. I think she was a bit too far to one side. For the audio, we tested the mics and from the camera playback they sounded fine. I also did a silence test to see if it was picking up on the ambient sound outside and the bars on the audio display didn’t move so I assumed it wasn’t reading anything. I was wrong:( When I played it back in Final Cut I could hear some of the students that were talking outside of the interview room but in my final clip it’s hard to notice.
One problem I found with the chroma key, the tool to change the green screen color, is that Christie was wearing a black shirt so when I changed the background to black her body disappeared almost entirely except for the highlights on her clothes. I brightened her a bit in color correction mode and that looked fine on the computers in the photolab but when I played it back at home she looked a little abnormally bright. I think it would have been perfect otherwise. I like how the fades and transitions worked out. She was a pretty good interviewee too.
My classmate Sara and I shot at a dance studio called Dancearts of Columbia. The room had a mirrored wall along one entire side and the rest of the room was white. We were in a giant soft box. I decided with the ballet theme it was time to play with some shadows for intensity. I set the stationary flash in the back right corner of the studio pointing toward almost the center of the room. I set that to be my key light and boosted it up about two exposures. I kept one flash on camera to use as a fill light. The flash on the camera was at a negative one exposure at ¼ power and I usually bounced it. The lights in the room were fluorescent so there was a little mixing of light but I believe I closed off my lens enough so that it wasn’t bothersome. I was usually shooting at ISO 100, f/6.3 and between 1/100 to 1/250 of a second.
For my select I caught a little more shadow than I would have liked but I think the picture is very journalistic. The other pictures I liked just didn’t have that interaction I wanted.
Our goal was to show how the tones of different musical instruments represent different colors. In our case, the trumpet elicits a red tone. The camera settings were at ISO100, f/11, and the exposure was for 90 seconds. One person used a miniature led flashlight with a red gel to outline the trumpeter and the trumpet. After the outline was complete, the subject was flashed with no gel. The subject then moved while the roof was painted with a blue gelled flash.